Friday, August 10, 2012

13 miles And Some PB&J

I spent last weekend with Conor, Kimmie and Bennett in RI- a much needed escape from the city. Kimmie and I did a nice woodsy trail on Saturday, but unfortunately the heat took its toll on us and we cut our distance a little short. Since I was pretty much occupied all weekend, I saved my long run for last night. I ran 13.4 miles after work yesterday, and had to bribe myself with a Starbucks mocha cookie frappuccino, which I happily indulged in this afternoon. Is it sad that one of those drinks is the only reason I will put on running shoes after work?? I'm more of a morning runner, so the bribery was very necessary. Here's a view of the Williamsburg bridge from the East River. One nice thing about evening runs is the scenery!


I got back from my run around 9:15, In Stamford in less than 30 minutes. and recovered with some PB&J& oatmeal. PB&J and oatmeal are two things I'm obsessed with individually, and a few weeks ago I decided to combine them. This hearty breakfast holds me over straight through lunch, which is very atypical for me- my stomach is usually growling by 10:45am.



PB&J oatmeal:
1/3 cup rolled oats
3/4 cups almond milk
1/4 cup wheat berries (I didn't know what these were until I read Carrots n' Cake- now I'm obsessed!)
1 tbsp all natural peanut butter
1 tbsp jam or jelly
Mixed berries (I used strawberries, blackberries and blueberries)

Combine oats, almond milk and wheat berries into a saucepan and simmer until mixture thickens. Top with peanut butter, jam and berries... Enjoy!

Nora watched my every move as I made this post-run snack...


No comments:

Post a Comment